Wishtree by Katherine Applegate - Isabella


            Four weeks ago, I was having a hard time deciding what to read for my blogpost. Then I came across a book I read a few years ago sitting on my bookshelf called
Wishtree by Katherine Applegate. As I was rereading this book, I began to realize that I didn’t understand big parts of the messages conveyed the first time I read Wishtree. Now rereading it being older, the beautiful messages just increase my liking and understanding of the book.

What differs Wishtree from a lot of other books is that the book is written from the perspective of a tree named Red instead of a human. Alongside seeing the world through the wise old tree Red, we get to experience the interactions and conversations between animals and see their reaction to the world, which I find very interesting. Red isn’t an ordinary tree, he is a wishtree. Every year, people write their wishes on a piece of cloth or whatever they have available (people have used old socks and clothes), and tie it to the wishtree in hopes of their dreams coming true. Red has encountered many different families living in his neighborhood, specifically in the green and blue house. But when Samar moves into the blue house, something is wrong. Everyone treats her and her family differently.

Trees have a general rule: while they can talk, they aren’t allowed to. Red, being a wishtree, knows everyone's wishes but according to the rules, he can’t do anything about them. But, what if he could? Red really wants to fulfill a specific wish, but how do you define “the right thing”? Is that not interfering and letting things flow as they would naturally? Or is that helping someone to fulfill their wish when you know it is something beneficial to them? Throughout the book, we get to see Red’s thought process regarding this. The fact that this is coming from a tree as they are known to be wise is really interesting.

While this book is intended for middle grade readers, it is very interesting! I enjoyed the point of view, creative aspects, and the various messages taught. Therefore, I’ll give this book a 9/10.


- Isabella

Comments

  1. Very concise writing that gets straight to the point. This book sounds very interesting because it's based on the perspective of a tree; we are all set to a default point of view created by our past and individual experiences, but even in real life, trees have 'experienced' and lived for so much more. As if only they could actually understand and interpret the world around them (in a way we couldn't even start to think of) to form these views I'm guessing play a large role in the Wish Tree. This book sounds like a dedicated, and entertaining read, you've definitely convinced me.
    (P.S. where is the paleta payaso rating at)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely plays a really big role in the story which makes it really interesting. And uhhhh I forgot about the paleta payaso rating but I'd say that it's close to being perfect.

      Delete
  2. (Comment Written By Naomi)
    Wow! I've never read this story before, but it sounds so awesome! I didn't know it was from the perspective of a tree, that's different and definitely not what I'm used to but it sounds interesting! I'll have to check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems really different that the book is told from the perspective of a tree! It sounds like a really cool concept, since the tree can also do stuff that we wouldn't think a tree could do, like speak. Overall I think that the book is interesting and could be a fun read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment