The Giver Quartet Gives You the "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh" Feeling From Math Class

Many of us are familiar with the famous book by Lois Lowrey, The Giver. However, many people don’t know that it is actually part of a series. A few months ago I read the Giver Quartet, which is actually all 4 books in the series combined into one large book. What is especially interesting about this book, is that the 4 books don’t follow the same character, instead they each focus on a different character and the main characters from the other books are side characters. I know it sounds a little confusing but trust, it's actually really good. When reading the other parts of the quartet (the different books) it was so exciting to be able to recognize one of the side characters as the main one from one of the other books (again a little confusing, I know). It feels as though you just solved a puzzle and everything clicks and makes sense. Or when you’re in math class and one by one each student gets that click in their head and then goes “Ohhhhhhhhhhh”

(mini spoiler ahead I guess but it's basically what you would find in a book summary at the beginning of a book)

The beginning of the book introduced me to this dystopian-type world where everything is organized and know one asks any questions. The area where they live is in black and white and people do not feel emotions because it is believed that they cause pain and suffering. This is until one boy is chosen to be the next Giver and begins to see things how they once were. I would 200% recommend this book because it gives the reader an interesting new perspective that is not commonly found in other book series, as well as the ability to make exciting connections, not just in one of the books, but throughout all 4 of them.

-Lucia


Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, I love The Giver!!!!!! Such a great book, 10/10 read. But anyways, just out of curiosity who are the main characters in the other 3 books within the Quartet?
    But still, great read. Love the Giver, and I should most *definitely* read the other 3 books sometime :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comparison between math class and the giver seemed out there at first but reading the post made the comparison make sense. I remember seeing this book in middle school and it seemed interesting. I'll have to give it a shot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already read The Giver, but thank you for not spoiling the other three books. I'll give the next book a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the 4 books, which one was your favorite? I once read part of the first book, and I liked the story and setting, but didn't realize that it was a series. I'll consider reading the series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read all 4 books in the series back-to-back (although not in the Quartet book) and loved the different perspectives that the different books provide. I'm glad I'm not the only one that was a little confused when starting the second book and reading from a complete opposite perspective, but I agree when everything makes sense its extremely satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice blog post! I have also read the quartet, so I'm pretty proud of myself. I like the metaphor title!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved the first book in this series, and had no idea there were more! I'll have to read them all after your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait I was not aware of the fact The Giver was part of a series. I enjoyed reading the first one, so I think I'll check out the other 3!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read The Giver but never realized it was part of a series! It's so interesting how different perspectives of different characters are revealed through each book! I'll definitely have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the comparison with math because I can relate... but it seems like an amazing story with an interesting plot. Ill have to check it out when I get some free time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the idea of books like this, where the main character always changes. All book series I read always had the same main character, and this changed style seems like it could give me a new perspective on books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait I actually need to read the other three so bad... I've read the giver like five times and I completely forgot there were more! I love series that follow different characters too. I'll have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment